Saturday, February 2, 2008

Is well water safe?

Like many others in Idaho, I pump water from my own well. In my case it's located in my garage. When I took possession of this house from a family-related estate back in 1988, I was told that the water in the house had sickened the family that was living here. Hepatitis was the scare word I heard. I started buying drinking water and felt much healthier. Now that I'm on city water I realize that I may be healthier now but was wealthier then because I'm spending about $30-$40 a month for water that cost me about $10 or so every month for water in big plastic containers back then.

I still use well water for watering the lawn, and it's nice to know that if I have to, I could switch back to that source for all my water.

Since then I've learned of a variety of illness-bearing substances that reside in domestic wells. The CDC has posted a comprehensive list and an explanation of the most common of these.

My concerns are not shared by most people I know who get their drinking water from a well. "Nothin' wrong with me, and I've been drinkin' this stuff for fifty years," is a typical comment.

At a committee trying to educate well users about the risk of taking in agricultural pollutants such as nitrates, cyanide, and arsenic, I heard this one: "I've never seen a blue baby." (Blue babies are babies whose intake of nitrates has interfered with the flow of oxygen in their tiny bodies, giving them a "blue" or bluish complexion.)

The reality is, our groundwater in Idaho is threatened both in quantity and quality. If we don't pay attention, some lovely homes in suburban Idaho are going to be available at garage sale prices because a house without a decent supply of water is a house nobody wants.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all let me thank you for your concerns on well water and the oppertunity to add my own.I too live in the great state of Idaho ,in the small town of Fruitland.Back in 2005 my wife and I bought our home we also had a 4 year old son .Being from out of state we had no idea of the arsenic in our area.Just over a year later are son was showing signs of being sick ,with yellowish skin color,dark eyes ,lack of appetite.Come to find out that the problem was coming from our well water.High levels of arsenic was present.If you remember back in 2004-2005 was a time of large home sales.Our little town was no diffrent,but nobody ever told us about the problems with the water.Ihave heard that alot of realtor's know but never disclose becuase they want to make a sale.This is what bothers me to no end,for a few thousands dollar's they have risked my son's life.He has now been on a detoxs program for over a year and a half and will be on some medication for the rest of his life.In my case we did ask for a well inspection and a full scale water test but later learned none was done.

Anonymous said...

Fruitland,continued.
Let me also add the the city water is full of arsenic too.They are in the process of lowering the levels of arsenic to the new E.P.A. standard's.The City of Fruitland sends out flyers to the residents,on the now new high levels of arsenic these are in English only.They feel like everyone should be able to read it.Although their new water bill incresse is writen in English and Spanish.Who is going to look out for us and make a stand for everyones health.

Anonymous said...

Needed to draft

you this very small

note to

finally thank you yet again

just for the great secrets you have shared in this case. toms shoes outlet stores ,It is certainly

particularly open-handed of

people like you to present

openly exactly

what a lot of people would've

marketed for an

electronic book to make some bucks on their own, and in

particular seeing that you might well have done it [url=http://www.tomsoutletmart.com]toms outlet[/url] toms shoes outlet in the event you [url=http://www.tomsoutletmart.com]toms outlet online[/url]

toms shoes outlet stores

wanted. The good

tips

also acted to provide a

fantastic way to fully grasp the rest have similar desire similar to

my very own to figure out a

great deal more with regard to this condition.

I think

there are many more enjoyable

periods ahead for

individuals that



looked at your blog.

Anonymous said...

Τhanκs , I hаve just bееn seагchіng fоr іnfо approхimatelу thіѕ
subjeсt fοr аgеѕ anԁ yours іs thе best I havе сame
upοn till now. Hοwеver, whаt in rеgards to thе bottom line?
Arе уоu сегtain сonсerning the supplу?


my web site ... Dien thoai